The Social Video and Record - Post #8

 Instagram 


Apparently Dennis DeYoung of Styx was born in the 19th century. 

I realized that I jumped ahead in my last blog post and responded to the reading that was due this week! Instead, I am melding together readings from week seven and this week. 

Jurgenson and the social video:

I am a self diagnosed chronic video-taker. I have hundreds of videos that I have haphazardly taken since I got a smartphone in 2016. Although I do agree with Jurgenson that "moving pictures are a kind of magic" (114), I completely ignored the mystical aspect of videography in my youth. Jurgenson said that he saw the ephemeral nature of Snapchat, in a way, being the end of photography. I would like to refute this. Accessibility does not mean an end to an art form. I remember when I got a smartphone, I was so excited "be a real photographer". I started off using the black and white camera setting on my iPhone 3. I so vividly recall going to downtown Chicago on a rainy afternoon and taking pictures of the dewy grass at Millennium Park. Looking back it was super cliche and of course none of the photos were actually artistic, but does that really matter? 

On multiple occasions, I have made small collage videos for birthdays on Instagram. It is typically accompanied with a song and videos of the person or trip. 

Trip to Salzburg video

Alec's 19th birthday video 

Two year anniversary video  

Jurgenson talks about seeing a story "in a flash" of an image (pg. 115). It seems as though I like to tell the story in multiple flashes of multiple images. In these instances, "they are about developing and conveying your view, your experience, your imagination, in the now" (pg 84). Harkening back to the first week of class and regarding nostalgia and documentation, I made a music video of old video clips for an original song over the first wave of covid. My goal at the time was for it to capture nostalgia, but now I definitely see it as a documentation tool. Thanks, Jurgenson!

2018 music video of sorts

I am not sure how to imbed videos, but I wanted to include a picture of my installation process that captures three dimensional movement. 

I suppose that is all for now.



Comments

Popular Posts