The Last Huzzah - Post #9

Instagram



Well here we are. 

This has been a term of reflection; reflecting on college experiences that have come and gone. 

I began this class seriously lacking knowledge of digital media and social media as an art form. As a "traditional" artist, I feel as though I took a more cynical approach to certain concepts of the social photo. At the beginning of college (and perhaps throughout high school too), I felt the need to capture every moment on camera. There was a lack of permanence about the present that frightened me. This dichotomy of cynicism and fear guided my practice as an artist and it can be seen in both my blog posts and instagram account. My instagram account has been a documentation of my desire to hold on to tradition, while my posts seem to have critiqued these notions. The social photo is continuing to evolve and the perception of photography will continue to expand, whether Jurgenson (or I) want it to.  

"Does our documentary consciousness even require an enduring document?" (pg. 44 Jurgenson)

Looking back on my camera roll, it looks like I still think so. 


So many pictures of me signing the cupola (thanks, JoJo!)

So many pictures of baby Hudson! 

I fear that my memory is not as tangible as photographic evidence. A way to say, "Look! I did this!". At the beginning of this course, I felt as though I heavily disagreed with the sentiments of Jurgenson, but now I think I am becoming more self aware. Is it a bad thing to desire nostalgia this way? Or does the original memory get lost in translation? 

My blog has unintentionally strayed away from my NoteIt creations. I wish that I would have stepped outside of my comfort zone a bit more and used images from my day to day life. Although, I don't think it is too late to begin. 

Until next time,

Sophia















Comments

Popular Posts