Nonknowledge and the Invisible Labor - Post #7

Instagram


 "The existence of any particular image isn't simply a matter of its having been taken. Instead, an image is the product of certain interests, functions, qualities and labors." -Jurgenson pg. 96


I know that Jurgenson is talking about social photography and the act of physically setting up equipment to take an image, but I feel as though this quote can be read in a way for it to apply to both analog and digital artwork. Last post I chatted a little bit about capturing essence in a photograph vs in a drawing, and how I related more to the drawing of myself than the selfie. I have been pondering this notion recently. As I finish up my senior exhibition work, I can't help but to think about the journey I have taken with my pedrolino (clowns). They are indeed a result of a very niche interest and many hours of labor. 

I believe there is a conversation between "visibility and invisibility" (99) in a different sense. What I think Jurgenson would consider to be the visual is the end product, while the invisible is the labor behind the work.  As an analog artist, I have a difficult time grappling with this concept. Instances where the invisible labor goes unnoticed is when artwork is often appreciated the most. Viewers would perhaps brush it off as "Oh, [insert artist name] makes it look so easy!". When the invisible is noticed, I feel as though the suspension of disbelief is broken and the work is no longer viewed as highly. 




                Apparently I can't stop thinking about clowns, here is an in progress NoteIt clown.

Spraying bathtub man with fixative outside

Sunrise with the pedrolino friends and temporary work station in the Memorial drawing studio.


Maybe I am just projecting my own insecurities and fears as the deadline for the exhibition approaches, but isn't that what this blog is for? 


ciao

sophia






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts