Connections to Reflections - Post #6

 Instagram 


While I was in Chicago, I was showing a friend my halfhourdoodles and she said to me, "Isn't it funny how we subconsciously put our own features into our drawings?". Now this surprised me immensely, especially because I had just finished up my second clown portrait. Up until the second clown portrait, I simply used imagery from my mind to draw the figures, but her comment made me begin to think about how I subconsciously insert myself into my art. 


This drawing is loosely based on a seflie I took. I intentionally chose the selfie because I felt at odds with its documentation. When I had first taken the image, I felt I had captured an authentic version of myself, but looking back, I am not so sure I agree. Why? I am not sure!


Big ole poofy humidity hair

I think it's funny how my interpretation of my self has changed. The more I look at the original image, the less it looks like both me and my drawing. Even though the drawing is removed from the original image, I still feel a closer kinship to it than the selfie. 


Jurgenson has a negative view on selfies, particularly referring to tourist pictures etc. I think selfies are quite silly, and they can document a one sided perspective of an experience. Below is an example of such:


Walking to work at Bagelicious where I was a manager and keyholder, c. January 2022 around 5:30am


Bathroom of Bagelicious, right before finding out my roommate tested position for covid. Same day as image above. 


First day back from quarantine after having covid. Yay kohler hall (five days later). 


Finding out Bagelicious is closing forever and I have no job, also finding out that my parents have covid and I have to leave the premises, c. last Friday (4/29/2022) around 10am. 


That is all I suppose.

Ciao,
Sophia






Comments

Popular Posts