Framing of Figures - Post #4



Silly smoking clown



 Instagram

Ah, framing. A tool so powerful to both social media gurus and artists. I am delighted that I am able to play both roles in my account @halfhourdoodles (which has been gaining a surprise amount of traction! 28 followers? I'll take it). Typically, with my analog work, framing of a subject plays a huge part in aesthetics. The figures I draw or paint are often completely central to the paper. Maybe this is the art historian in me wanting to emphasize the importance of the human body? Who knows. 


Pedrolino portrait from February 2020

Venus Undead, unfinished at the time, January 2020

In both instances, the figure exists to confront the viewer. Even in my digital NoteIt work, I often decide to make figures central to the canvas. I always thought I did this unintentionally, but after reading the Lupton Phillips, I feel as though my artistic choices were much more intentional (although they might disagree from a design point of view). 

Viking buddy

My Viking friend over here is following the rule of thirds. I attempted to give meaning to both the Viking and smoking clown by the positioning of their heads. While I could not cut and paste images into NoteIt, I tried to add layers and give depth to these two portraits by not giving them a solid background. They are both turned slightly and are meant to confront the viewer in a different way than my analog drawings. Does that make them too confrontational? Is there such a thing? Guess we'll never know. 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts